Alternative IRA that is built to invest in alternative assets such as cryptocurrency, startups, and loans. Has revenue but very tepid. Been in business for 5 years. Compare to CodeCombat, which raising at a lower valuation and had higher annual recurring revenue selling to extremely defensible base.
Want to invest alongside me? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive my exclusive recommendations on deals.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: Nashville, TN|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||No (1)|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Yes: 2018 to 2019, revenue went from $9k to $74k.|
|5. Notable investors?||No: “We’ve secured over $9.8M in funding to date from prominent investors like Moment Ventures, Jefferson River Capital (Vice-Chair of Blackstone Tony James’s Family Office), T.H. Lee, Sequoia Scout, Foundation Capital, Amplify LA, and Alumni Venture Group.”|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||No: Burned $1.9m in in 2019 and raised only $470k at present.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question (Can you create breakthrough technology instead of incremental improvements?):
- Average: Yes, people are interested in alternative investments more than ever, and retirement funds will help. But not seeing this as that venture backable of a company. It’s been around for 5 years and only has $78k in revenue.
- The Timing question (Is now the right time to start your particular business?):
- Average: See point 1.
- The monopoly question (No?):
- Bad: Never heard of this company before today.
- The people question (Do you have the right team?):
- Average: Founder Eric Satz seemed convincing, but not seeing any high profile exits in the same space.
- The distribution question (Do you have a way to deliver your product?):
- Average: Few people think about IRAs, but I guess digital distribution is fine.
- The durability question (Will your market position be defensible 10
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.