Pre-revenue media company wants to launch a membership/sponsored content production house for mobile first video news. Compelling value proposition, with some famous investors, but too early in the innovation cycle for me. Needs to become a platform/tech company to deliver venture returns.
Want to invest alongside me? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive my exclusive recommendations on deals.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: Brooklyn, NY|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||No (1, but has Chief Product Officer)|
|3. Has product in the market||No: only beta users, can’t download via app and didn’t want to give email to frame.media|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||No: 2019 net revenue was $261.|
|5. Notable investors?||Yes: Snap Accelerator, Biz Stone (co-founder of Twitter)|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Yes: They burned $82k in 3 months, or monthly burn of $26.6k meaning that a round $1m would get them 38.46 months of runway. |
(Thanks to Yifan Tang for pointing out my slip-up!)
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question (Can you create breakthrough technology instead of incremental improvements?):
- Bad: This is a tech-enabled media company
- The Timing question (Is now the right time to start your particular business?):
- Good: Move to mobile definitely make sense
- The monopoly question (Are starting with a big share from a small market?):
- Bad: Hard to gauge. Potentially good if talking about just mobile/story like video news, bad if talking about mobile news.
- The people question (Do you have the right team?):
- Average: Team has good experience on
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.