Investment company for SaaS businesses. Team is copy paste from Hello Bar. Investment thesis is acquiring bootstrapped SaaS businesses with good product, poor marketing, sub-$1.5MM in ARR and too slow for traditional venture capital. Analysis requested by a reader (yes, I take requests at email@example.com!)
Shoutout to B. M. for the tip!
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||Fail: San Diego, CA|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||Pass (2)|
|3. Has product in the market||Fail: no product.|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Fail: no metrics.|
|5. Notable investors?||Fail: no sharing of other investors.|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Irrelevant/most likely: not a startup, so this metric is not relevant.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- N/A: No technology.
- The Timing question:
- Good: Can see COVID being a great time to acquire cheaper SaaS businesses.
- The monopoly question:
- Meh: there are probably some economies of scale, but nothing groundbreaking.
- The people question:
- OK: team seems to make sense, but lack of materials not promising.
- The distribution question:
- N/A: not a startup so not relevant.
- The durability question:
- Meh: good that they’re buying good businesses with solid ARR, but no guarantee that those businesses will last a long time.
- *What is the hopeful secret?:
- This team has unique dealflow to profitable, bootstrapped SaaS businesses through their connections at HelloBar and Neil Patel Digital Agency, and that the existing funders (angel, venture, and traditional bank) are leaving money on the table by not analyzing and funding these businesses.
What has to go right for the
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.