Pre-revenue fintech company for emerging companies wants to be the PayPal/Square/Venmo/Braintree. Burned $1.1MM in 2018 and 2019, each, raising money at a $30MM valuation. Will only raise ~7 months of runway at present fundraising terms.
Shout out to reader John for forwarding me the deal!
Interested in startup investing? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive exclusively weekly content, tailored for the startup investor.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: New York, NY|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||No: 1 (CEO holds 86.2% of the equity.)|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Yes: Users grew from 688 to 3239 in six months.|
|5. Notable investors?||No|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||No: Burned $1.1MM in 2018 and 2019, each, currently raising max $700k which is 7.6 months of runway.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Bad: not seeing fundamentally any new technology.
- The Timing question:
- Uncertain: Good for fintech but this company is trying to be PayPal/Square/Venmo/Braintree for emerging markets and I’m not sure they’d do it besides better than the OGs.
- The monopoly question:
- Good: if they could actually build it, this would be great. But the level of capital to build this is far exceeding their non-existent revenue.
- The people question:
- Eh: Not seeing anyone with fintech experience prior.
- The distribution question:
- Bad: Marketing to consumers is straightforward, but getting businesses onboard not easy.
- The durability question:
- Good: if they could build it.
- *What is the hopeful secret?:
- They can bootstrap a multi-prong fin-tech company that does peer-to-peer payments, vendor payments, and API integration when these technologies took decades to take root in the United States among several different players.
What has to go right for the startup to return money on investment:
- Novel technology to
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.