Using computers to make better implants. Joining machine learning (detecting patterns in molds,) robotics (no-human error,) and 3D printing (small batch, highly detailed manufacturing.) “By linking 3D printed implants and advanced robotics via automated digital image analysis algorithms, Monogram has achieved greater stability, implant insertion accuracy, and fit than current conventional methods, based on our collaborative study with UCLA Biomechanics Laboratory.”
- “Innovation in orthopedics is slow and inefficient. Large interdependent oligopolistic companies dominate the market with implants that are almost indistinguishable and robotic technology that is costly, limited, slow, and replaceable. As it stands today, almost all of the robotically inserted implants could be inserted with manual instruments. The cost of capital, distribution, and development have built almost insurmountable barriers to entry which has led to four companies having a monopoly of over 76% of the $18B market.”
- Valuation at 21.5MM pre-money, my $200 buys nothing.
- Great products don’t make for great business.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||Fail: (Brooklyn, NY)|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||Pass|
|3. Has product in the market||Fail|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Fail|
|5. Notable investors?||Pass: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Fail: no numbers despite having been marketing on SeedInvest for two months.|
No data, no SEC confirmation, has been in business since 2017 and can’t get a product to market. Has gone from 6MM to 8MM to 10MM and now 20MM.Monogram profile on SeedInvest
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Good: allegedly 7x better
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.