Another player in the cash-for-home-equity (as opposed to cash-for-debt) play. Good valuation and thesis, but ambiguous differentiation. From what I can tell, company only generated $20k in revenue and has only raised 5 months of runway.
Building a startup portfolio? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive exclusively weekly content, tailored for startup investors.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: Newport Beach, CA|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||Yes: Yes|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes: Started accepting applications in October 2019|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Yes: Rev for 2019 was $8k, has generated $20k in 2020.|
|5. Notable investors?||No|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||No: Burned $414k in 2019, only raised $151k.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Bad: Not sure how this is 10x better than Hometap, Divvy, Unison, EasyKnock, Ribbon, or Figure. Competitor source here.
- The Timing question:
- Good: Lots of competition means this is a thesis multiple people are hunting. Divvy in particular raised $43m from a16z and partners.
- The monopoly question:
- Bad: Look at the existence of these other competitors and you can tell this is going to be a market with lots of players. That said, not horrible.
- The people question:
- Fine: Team seems fine but nothing too stand out.
- The distribution question:
- Fine: marketing to consumers but no advantage on distribution.
- The durability question:
- Good: If business is built, definitely defensible with relationships to lenders and consumers.
- *What is the hopeful secret?:
- Uncertain what the secret is compared to competitors.
What has to go right for the startup to return money on investment:
What the Risks Are
Muhan’s Bonus Notes
- Current Fundraised: $151k
- Valuation: ~$8MM
This is where I’ll post updates about the company. This way all my notes from offering to post-offering updates will be on one page.
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.