Product that I have personal experience with that has been operating for over half a decade. This company doesn’t have the outsized returns of a normal angel deal, but it does have the appeal of having passed the existential angst stage. Now positioned very well during the COVID-conomy to make a bid for distanced, highly-produced, gamified coding education. Backed by a16z, Y-Combinator and Hone Capital.
- I’ve used the product myself and know the team has been in this for a long time.
- Distanced learning, gamified education, coding, all things that obviously are going to grow further, especially during this environment.
- Interesting that the team founded Skritter, obviously sticking to the core value prop is good but this team could very well position itself to be an EdTech giant if it finds repeatable, scalable ways to gamify other education. In this case not asking if company can go from 0 to 1 (it’s already done that,) but rather 1 to 100.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||Pass. Source.|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||Pass (2+)|
|3. Has product in the market||Pass|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Pass: |
Q2 2019: 339k
Q3 2019: 359k
Q4 2019: 365k
|5. Notable investors?||Pass With Flying Colors: Victory lap of the big names such as a16z, YC, and Hone Capital, the last of which invested in AirTable, Atrium, Cruise, Guideline, Gusto, Haven, Iron.io, Lever, Pared, Petal, Superhuman, Wonderschool, and Zeel. I’ve never heard of Hone previously but they certainly got money, at some point, into many fancy toys that all the cool kids are playing with.|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Pass: Raised $624k, 2019 burn was $3 million, targeting 1.335 million, so would have 25 months of runway at maximum round.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Yes: Codecademy and FreeCodeCamp.org come
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.