Online retail platform connecting private investors to real estate debt for single family home real estate entrepreneurs. The platform has provided annual returns of 10.6% to its investors over the last 7 years. Seems like a solid business but uncertain if venture backable.
Interested in startup investing? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive exclusively weekly content, tailored for the startup investor.
- Valuation: $73.9MM valuation means that the company has to become a unicorn to have a chance at 10x my money.
- Good Business but Not Venture Backable: Good growth from 2018 to 2019 with revenues going from $2.89MM to $6.4MM but in order to be worth a billion would have to get to $250MM in revenue. If you look at growth curve from 2014, it’s been 6 years and this is not hockey-stick shaped growth.
- Scalability: How many applications would this business have to process to do as much loan origination than X number of banks? And more importantly, can it really do it with radically less employees?
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: Atlanta, GA|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||Yes: 2|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Yes: Revenue doubled from 2018 to 2019.|
|5. Notable investors?||No: No one that I recognize.|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||No: Only raised $2MM so only has half a year of runway at 2019 burn.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Good: if there is no platform that provides this type of financing, then
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.