Social media marketing platform driven by AI + Data Science. Auto-completes text and emojis for tweets and posts. $135k in sales in the last 6 months, revenue averaging $15k/mth lifetime. Also has a text and emoji auto-complete API that will make for interesting B2B opportunities.
Interested in startup investing? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive weekly content, exclusively tailored to accompany investors in their venture journey.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: New York, NY|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||No: 1|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Yes: “💰~$15k+/m sales; 🥇$135k Sales in 6 Months; 🏆 75%+ average gross margin” which means last 6 months of avg sales was hirer than all of 2020 avg. Of note, there didn’t seem to be revenue in 2019.|
|5. Notable investors?||Yes: Tim Draper, 1517 Ventures (Thiel Fellowship)|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||No: 2019 burn was $240k representing ~$20k/mth, raised $87k which is 4 months.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Good: Adding Gmail’s auto-complete feature into social media scheduling platforms seems like a no-brainer.
- The Timing question:
- Good: Again, Google being able to implement the auto-complete is a proof of where AI is right now. Will this company be able to replicate? Hard to say, but the timing is good.
- The monopoly question:
- Good: Can scale very quickly. More data the more predictions.
- The people question:
- Good Not Great: One founder, Arjun Rai. We share networks in common which is encouraging, and put in $165k of his own money. But I don’t see much of a team.
- The distribution question:
- Good: Partnering with Hootsuite very positive.
- The durability question:
- Good: owning all the data and insight of what emojis make what social media goes
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.