Pre-revenue data company wants to aggregate user data and give said users the ability to monetize their data. Streamlytics would sell data to companies that need it, with the users permission, while also providing more enriched data. Raised $1M on a $20MM valuation.
Interested in startup investing? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive weekly content, exclusively tailored to accompany investors in their venture journey.
- Pre-Revenue: Going to market is a lot of risk that I generally let founding teams shoulder.
- Does the Market Exist: Is this a vitamin or a painkiller?
- Timing: Not sure I see this precise moment being when consumers are going to demand compensation for their data.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: Culver City, CA (LA, thanks Jerry Tsai!)|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||No: 1|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||No: pre-revenue.|
|5. Notable investors?||No|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||No: 2019 burn was $140k, raised 1,069k, only 7.6 months of runway.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Uncertain: what’s the competition it’s being compared to?
- The Timing question:
- Uncertain: What’s making this the time for people to expect to monetize their data?
- The monopoly question:
- Good: Can scale very quickly if they figure it out.
- The people question:
- Good Not Great: Team with good startup experience, but no one has experience selling a product like this.
- The distribution question:
- Bad: Not sure where the unfair advantage of selling to consumers it is.
- The durability question:
- Good: owning all the data would make this very defensible.
- *What is the hopeful secret?:
- The market is ripe for consumers to demand compensation for their data from companies that collect it.
What has to go right for the startup to
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.