Carabiner and hook clip together. 2019 revenue was more than $2 million with unit sales growing by 18% from 2018 – aggregating over 440,000 units sold since 2018 (unaudited.) Wants to build a lifestyle company on top of the platform of the initial product.
Building a startup portfolio? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive exclusively weekly content, tailored for startup investors.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: Seattle, WA|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||No: One founder.|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Yes, 2018 revenue was 1.9MM and 2019 revenue was 2.02M|
|5. Notable investors?||No: though the investors do seem to be active sports investors.|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Yes: 2019 burn was $329k, raised $1.667M, so 5.06 years of runway.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Good: better than the next best product.
- The Timing question:
- Fine: not bad not phenomenal.
- The monopoly question:
- Bad: Feel that this is is a nice-to-have product, not solving an urgent need.
- The people question:
- Good Though Thin: Team is good but thin, only two full-time.
- The distribution question:
- Fine: Needs to partner with retailers and also distribute via e-commerce.
- The durability question:
- Good: Fine product business.
- *What is the hopeful secret?:
- Not a venture product, not much secret.
What has to go right for the startup to return money on investment:
- Investment will return money.
What the Risks Are
- Not a venture backable business so lowers IRR
Muhan’s Bonus Notes
Investment came in from SeedInvest’s Auto Invest, hence the deal memo opting out.
- Current Fundraised: $1.67M
- Valuation: ~$4.75MM
This is where I’ll post updates about the company. This way all my notes from offering to post-offering updates will be on one page.
Review these deal memos every time the startup
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.