Why (Not) Investing (Yet)
- Acquired 1800 teams using the app in 18 months. The average league is 500 players or 35 teams, and monetizing leagues should be straightforward if value is present. In addition, there are several leagues that are 300 teams big.
- So far is a vitamin not a painkiller.
- Revenue is too early for my skill level to assess.
|1. Syndicate lead has >5 years investing and >1 unicorn investment||Fail|
|2. A startup that is based in SV||Fail (Manalapan, NJ)|
|3. Has at least 2 founders||Pass|
|4. Has product in the market||Pass|
|5. 6 months of continuous user growth or revenue.||Fail: only $30 of revenue so far.|
|6. Notable investors?||Fail|
|7. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Fail: $85k raised so far, $223k burn in 2016 and 2017, one month left to go and shooting for $1MM this round|
|8. Proprietary technology?||Pass: as proprietary as anything in digital property can be|
|9. Network effects?||Pass|
|10. Economies of scale?||Pass|
|11. Great branding?||Fail|
- The Engineering question:
- Bad: From what I can infer, this is selling a feedback app instead of a scheduling app. Doing investigation into my network and industry insiders, this seems like a vitamin not a painkiller. In addition, this is (surprisingly) not my first time evaluating a sports startup: https://getplayerpro.com/
- The Timing question:
- Good: always a great time to start a SaaS business, especially in this frothy market.
- The monopoly question:
- Good… but does it matter?: why is having a monopoly in just feedback providing a good thing? I understand if this is something like Qualtrics or NPS, but youth sports leagues are not competing on the same metrics that businesses are.
- The people question:
- Bad (by default): Two professionals in digital agencies—no previous product based entrepreneurship, in addition, no serious revenues from product that’s
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.