Building a wine store by pursuing a custom Fulfilled-by-Amazon model. Believes that it can build a more lucrative business by letting wineries hold the inventory while they just drive the digital marketing/online pricing angle. Could be interesting depending on whether they’re actually eliminating a middle man (e.g. becoming a marketplace for wineries to sell their own goods,) or if they’re just becoming a more efficient middle man.
- Pre-revenue instantly killed it for me.
- Doesn’t feel like the right team to build an online marketplace.
- Lack of familiarity with the market and uncertainty/skepticism about the business model.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||Fail: But interestly enough, in the original (Napa) “Valley” e.g. Napa, CA.|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||Pass (5)|
|3. Has product in the market||Pass|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||Fail: The Company is pre-revenue and may not be successful in its efforts to grow and monetize its product.|
|5. Notable investors?||Fail|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Fail: Burned $200k in 10 days for 02/19/20 to 02/29/20. Following that burn, would only raise 3 months of burn at full subscription.|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Interesting: I like the FBA model for wine but 1) am unfamiliar with the market e.g. is anyone else doing this.
- The Timing question:
- Good: not quite sure if wine works like coffee e.g. people drink as much coffee during economic recessions, just cheaper coffee, but see it as a fairly recession proof concept.
- The monopoly question:
- Maybe: The key variable here is how many “FBA marketplaces” the wineries want to sign on with. I guess if it’s like Amazon, then in this case, WineStash is like Amazon and eliminating those retailers who buy wholesale from wineries
Want to read the whole post?
You don't have access to this post on Startup Investing for All by Muhan Zhang at the moment, but if you upgrade your account you'll be able to see the whole thing, including comments, as well as all the other posts in the archive! Subscribing only takes a few seconds and will give you immediate access.